Sunday 2 November 2008

Red Bull and Cycle City South Perth

Wow! Wasn't that a well organised, well attended, exciting, peaceful and enjoyable event?

I loved it. As a pilot, member of the public and Councillor I really enjoyed both days. The crowd spirit was fantastic, the venue was left clean, people had fun, the were hundreds and hundreds of bicycles and people on foot, the police had little to do and got along with everybody well.

Increased number of bicycles is such a good sign that people are making the change to healthy activities, leaving their cars behind and also leaving parking spaces free. I noticed empty parking bays all day (fantastic). A good friend suggested that the City could add a very large number of cycle lock-up points, such as rails or poles with loops. Perhaps before Australia Day? What do you think?

Having organised very many events myself, I really appreciated the fact that things seemed to go so smoothly that I didn't notice the organisation. Well done everybody :-)

Re the above photo, I have some video clips that I have edited. They can accessed by clicking here, for you to download and play. Just have the sound tuned up loud for full effect, before you begin :-)

Other high point in my weekend? Finding the new French patisserie, behind the stairs opposite BankWest. Genuine French baker, pleasant staff and croissant and "pain chocolat" to dance for. Bienvenue a Perth du Sud et bonne chance.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes - you're right, it was a great event and the weather was fantastic. Well done to the organisors, and to the residents of South Perth!.