Tuesday 6 September 2011

Empty Seats on Council

Nominations for WA Local Council seats close on Thursday afternoon 8 September 2011. Does this matter to you?

A number of Councils around the State still have empty positions. Others have only one person nominating in many Wards. Sometimes this means a good person gets straight in without being distracted from their good works; other times it means that a less skilled person get to lead your community.

Do you care enough to make a difference?

If you are reflecting on how you might contribute to the City’s future, and what it takes to do it well, you might like to look into one of my questioning blogs
by clicking here.

There are some interesting electoral profiles out there. I like to look at what a person has done already, before I look at their view of the future. Oh, and I hope they have such a thing as a view. My ideal candidate should have an active history, should care a lot about others, should have already done a lot for others, should be a good listener and should have a focus on what our City will be like in our grandkids’ time.

My ideal candidate might have some connection with politics, but must be able to bring their personal values to the Council Chamber, and leave their party allegiances outside. They really must be able to work together and, when necessary, to disagree agreeably. Oh, and quite a few, I hope, don’t fit the standard model of greying male. (There are enough of us already.)Smile

Go on, like Ernie says, get out there.

Do you have something to add? Click on Comments below or just email me, to have it published here.

 

1 comment:

Ralph said...

Are you standing down Peter? Although you are not in my Ward, I do hope that you will continue to represent your Ward.