Monday 31 January 2011

Foreign Aid and Thank You

To all those people who have sent me mail about Australia’s aid budget: Thank You.

Thank you for your thoughts on why we should stop helping people in other countries. I understand that you believe that we should stop sending food to poor people affected by massive floods and earthquakes. I understand too that you believe that we should not support education programs in Indonesia and economic development in other countries in our region.

I could say that it is my firm belief that such aid is in our own interest, that development of nearby economies will provide us with stronger trading partners. I could say that better educated neighbours will be better able to feed and support themselves, that their women and children will fare better and that their health will be of higher standard. I could say that the population of nearby countries might do better and not be so keen to board leaky boats bound for our shores.

I could say too that much of our aid money goes to pay a minimal living wage to the thousands of Aussies who give years of their life: Aussie engineers, Aussie doctors and nurses, Aussie teachers. These are who people who show our face to the world, the people who are trusted in the towns and villages of our region and the people who influence the next generation of leaders in the islands and nations nearby.

However, the real reason I respond here is that I believe that as members of a very rich country, we simply have a moral duty to help those less fortunate. No more, no less.

I am sorry that you don’t share this belief and chose instead to campaign against the kindness shown by Australia and Australians to those in need. I really hope that the recipients of these messages reflect and respond more kindly.

Have your say by clicking on Comments below and logging in as a name or anonymously, or just email me and I’ll publish your constructive comments.

7 comments:

The Worst of Perth said...

Nice post. I doubt whether those with such sentiments are going to be swayed by the idea that it is good for Australia, because their objections will be based on hatred bigotry and racism rather than any perceived benefit or not.

Lyn Fraser said...

Dare I say it! For once I wholeheartedly agree with you.

Roselt Croeser said...

It is sad that the Australian press gives such a lot of prominence to this vocal unpleasant group of people. I don’t really believe that most Australians are like this. And even if more than half are like this, there are still a great many people who do not hold these views.

You are quite right that it is as simple as – if we can help we should. I would much rather be a citizen of a country that exports aid instead of a country that exports war and misery.

It will be good to see that our government finds the goodwill to help to rebuild places affected by crises and also maintains a focus on the future. If we rob the future to pay for today’s crises then we are going backwards.

Phil Deschamp said...

Hi Peter

A blog is no place for a discussion of a complex issue therefore I applaud that you did not debate (you almost did) but quietly expressed your point of view. People's values are not changed by reason.

Phil Deschamp

Vivienne said...

Thanks for your blog on this issue Pete. I have felt quiet saddened and distressed over recent days when acquaintances have expressed views along the lines that we should not be sending aid to other countries. I have even felt physically sick in the stomach when I have heard these views and have been too distressed to respond articulately. So thanks for articulating you’re compassionate and logical views. It helps me formulate a response in future.

I also believe we need to hear more of these views in the media, who seem to currently be whipping up the view that we should not help other countries.

I have just finished reading “A Thousand Splendid Suns” by Khaled Hosseini (Author of the Kite Runner). This book talks about the plight of Afghani women and girls. I am sure if more people were exposed to books like this instead of the negative popular uneducated views in the media, people may be more compassionate.

I can only hope !!!

Don said...

I believe we should spend more on foreign aid than we do.

The UN long ago asked all developed countries to give 0.7% of GDP in aid.

I'm not sure of the current figure but it was about 0 .3% of GDP at the end of the Howard government which is a disgrace.

I'm not sure these figure are exact , maybe worthwhile publishing them on your blog. I couldnt access it at time of writing.

Beside the humanitarian point of view it is good investment in our long term relations and therefore security. It's a no brainer........

Unfortunately Australia is becoming an insular and non caring society.
This is reflected on issues like boat people, levy for QLD floods etc.

Guy Wieland said...

[Edited for brevity]PB

Uncontrolled population growth is the essential problem of 3rd world areas, it is the one common thread. India has 1.2 billion people, it also has over 1 million, millionairs. Cold hard reality is that all 3rd world areas could have exactly what we have if they decreased their population. China was once 3rd world and yet has become a major economic powerhouse through strong leadership and economic direction, it also controls population growth. Standards of living are directly aligned to economic capability, there are only so many jobs for a set amount of population.

Whilst we have continually given to the 3rd world, with little to show for the billions, Australian public schools that we have owned essentially since the 1960's are run down and over crowded, Public hospitals over flow with long waiting lists.

Our fellow Australians have had their homes, businesses and lives destroyed by the worst floods in 100 years and yet the left wing political grasp on Australia states "Well bad luck, your not getting your hands on your taxes that comprise Foreign Aid", it is simply expected that we will have to give more to organized charities and give more by way of tax, whilst public utilites continually degrade, this cycle will simply go on forever.